Withdrawal from the University

The decision to leave Youngstown State University and not return is not an easy one to make.  There are several reasons why a student might choose to exit the university at the end of a semester. A student may plan to:

  • Transfer to another institution
  • Take a break in education and return at an unidentified date
  • Leave the university without a definite plan to return

It is the university's sincere hope to retain all students as members of the university community. However, if a student has decided to leave the institution on a temporary or permanent basis, we ask the student to submit an "University Exit Request" in the Penguin Portal. The exit request does not apply to students who just wish to drop a course or completely withdraw from the current semester but maintain their enrollment eligibility.  Students who wish to withdraw from the current term and have plans to re-enroll the next semester should refer to the "Withdrawal from Course/Semester" section of the catalog.


The University Exit Request is submitted through the Personal Information tab in the Penguin Portal. Once a university exit request has been submitted, students should be aware of the following:

  • The student account will be classified as inactive, which will prevent the student from registering for classes but will not delete the student's permanent record or prevent the student from requesting transcripts of completed coursework.
  • The student will be responsible for any debt owed to the university.
  • The student will be responsible for any Title IV financial aid responsibilities, if applicable.
  • The student will be responsible for canceling residential agreements for campus housing, if applicable.
  • The student will be responsible for notifying the International Programs Office of departure, if an international student.

The university welcomes students' return to resume their education activities.  A student's account will only be switched to active after a completed readmission application or former transfer application is processed.  Students who wish to return after filing a university exit request should contact the Penguin Service Center to identify which application process to follow.


Office: Penguin Service Center
Location: Meshel Hall
Website:  https://ysu.edu/penguin-service-center and https://ysu.edu/registrars-office